Property Division

Top Providence Divorce Attorney for Property Division

Secure Your Assets with a Skilled Divorce Lawyer in Rhode Island

In the event of a divorce, you may begin to realize how much you and your spouse have acquired over the years. A home, cars, the dog, retirement funds, and now it all has to be divvied up. Doing so fairly can feel impossible and you may worry that you'll walk away with far less than what you deserved.

As a trusted Providence divorce lawyer, I have seen many judges draw a not so equal line in the sand and one spouse is left wanting. My experience with family law can work to your advantage and ensure that this does not happen to you. With awards backing my legal counsel and representation, you can feel confident with my team on your side.

How is property divided during a divorce?

Rhode Island is an equitable division state, which means that everything is done to divide property as fairly as possible. Couples are encouraged to work together to draw up a marital settlement agreement and present it for the court's approval. If they are unable to do so, the court will get involved and determine the fairest way to allocate marital property.

Marital property is anything that was acquired or earning during the marriage, while non-marital property is the possessions a spouse had before the marriage. This can include an inheritance or special gifts.

When dividing marital property, the court will consider the following:

  • The length of the marriage
  • The age and health of both parties
  • The income either party contributed during the marriage
  • Both party's conduct during the marriage
  • Future earning abilities of both parties
  • Whether any children are involved

If court involvement becomes necessary for your property division, it is helpful to be prepared with what you hope to gain. I can act as your advocate and will put your needs first every step of the way.

Choose Providence's Leading Lawyers for Fair Property Division

Dividing property during a divorce can be a complex and emotionally charged process. At Steven G. Wright, Attorney at Law, our experienced property division lawyers in Providence, RI are here to protect your assets and ensure a fair distribution.

Why choose our property division lawyers?

  • Extensive knowledge of Rhode Island divorce laws: Our lawyers have a deep understanding of the laws and regulations pertaining to property division in Rhode Island. We stay up-to-date with any changes in the law to provide you with the most accurate and effective legal advice.
  • Personalized approach: We understand that every divorce case is unique. Our lawyers take the time to listen to your concerns, goals, and priorities. We will work closely with you to develop a personalized strategy that aligns with your specific needs.
  • Strong negotiation skills: Property division often involves negotiations between both parties. Our lawyers are skilled negotiators who will advocate for your best interests. We will strive to reach a fair settlement that protects your assets and ensures your financial security.
  • Attention to detail: Property division requires a thorough examination of all assets and liabilities. Our lawyers will meticulously review all financial documents to ensure that no assets are overlooked or undervalued. We will work diligently to uncover any hidden assets and ensure a comprehensive division of property.
  • Litigation expertise: In some cases, property division disputes may need to be resolved in court. Our lawyers have extensive litigation experience and will aggressively represent you in the courtroom if necessary. We will fight for your rights and work towards a favorable outcome.

When it comes to property division, you need a skilled and dedicated legal team on your side. Contact Steven G. Wright, Attorney at Law today to schedule a consultation with our experienced property division lawyers in Providence, RI.

Get a Head Start on Property Division - Contact Our Providence Law Firm Now!Reach out for a consultation today!